My "cousin" Trevia posted on Facebook today:
What does "pay it forward" mean to you? Not just going out of your way to do something nice, but doing it without expectations..... Do something nice for a stranger unless you know of someone in need... God, family, friends , and everyone else.... I'm paying it forward in my own way.... what have you done lately? I wanna know....
My response was its more of how I live my life not just something I do.I don't plan Pay it Forwards I just do them as the opportunity arises and when the spirit hits me. I live my life thinking Maybe She's an Angel.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLH9-TWGZMg I've been inspired many times in my life by the earth angels I encounter. Homeless people giving me rent money, Free rides from Cab drivers when I was pregnant and had to walk home from work, People that have friended me, inspired me and loved me through my hardest times. I have spent some time in a battered women's shelter and have been homeless with a baby on my knee so my heart really goes out to homeless even before I ended up in the situation. Between homeless and animals... (I would go adopt every dog and cat at the pound if I could take care of them properly). For the last couple of years.. I have used book bags I have gotten as promo gifts or the ones my kids didn't want anymore and put an inexpensive blanket in there, maybe some snacks, a little cash, and perhaps the free shampoo from hotels and whatever else I have on hand (extra gloves?) and if I encounter a homeless person I hand them the bag. I don't think to myself I am giving this guy $5-$10 cash what if he blows it on Alcohol or drugs? Who cares its not for me to judge its between him and his maker right? I wanted to start a charity to rescue Cabbage Patch Kids and Build a Bears from Yard Sales, Thrift Stores, and Flea Markets and rehome them with needy children or for the Police and Fire Departments when they respond to a call. My friend Danielle S did something a few years ago that inspired me she did a Pay it Forward project where she did something nice for someone every day leading up to her 30th birthday so 30 days of good.. You can do it once a week till your birthday or something like that :) Well Trevia says her birthday is next week so I am going to give her 39 inexpensive ways to pay it forward
- Put a dollar in the Redbox DVD holder so the next person that rents that DVD will get a free rental.
- Tape change to a vending machine
- put a small stuffed animals or diapers on a public changing table with a note for the mom
- write on a piece of paper "You are Beautiful" and tape it to a mirror in a public bathroom
- Pay for someone's Starbucks or meal or even their Grocieries
- I've always wanted pay on someone's layaway
- Rock a baby at a hospital
- Serve food at a Homeless shelter or soup kitchen
- pray for a stranger
- Free Compliments take one
- Grab a $10 gift card then give it away..
- Find a single mom, grandparent raising their child, and or a special needs mom and offer some respite care or cook them a meal
- Chemo Care Packages
- another idea for the Homeless
- Volunteer or Donate to the Monkey's http://momastery.com/
- Volunteer for a Pet Rescue or donate money
- Give a generous tip for good service
- Get tested to become a donor.. Donate blood
- Help someone that you know is disabled or elderly clean their home or run their errands
- Pay for someone's dry cleaning.
- praise a child even if you don't know them
- leave extra time in a parking meter
- visit a nursing home
- give a freezer meal to a new mom
- Do something nice for your parents
- send a care package to a soldier
- hand out water at an event
- Tell a random parent you see that they are doing a good job
- pick up litter
- leave a review for someone at a business if they gave you good service
- Leave random sticky notes with fun or kind quotes on the mirror of a public restroom
- Leave tickets sitting around randomly at an arcade or fair or give them to a young child
- Get a $10 gift card to Barnes and Noble or something of the like and tape it and a note to the inside of a book. "Great Choice this book is on me"
- Let a person cut in line with a smile
- pay for a veterans dinner
- Leave a dollar in the dollar bins at Target or the Dollar store
- leave coins at a laundry mat
- Get a netflix gift card (really inexpensive) put it in a basket with some popcorn, some candy, and maybe even a gift card for order in place for dinner... alternative pack a basket with a board game (it can be travel sized) and some candy and give it to a neighbors child so they can disconnect from technology
- have a hobby? Make something and then donate it to the needy (ie Hats for newborns at a hospital)
Wow this was harder than I thought on my time crunch!!
Good luck and Happy Birthday Trevia
Check out these groups